Job Description: Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship
5 days per week
Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship. 18 month contract
Salary: £8.00 to £11.00
Designated Safeguarding Lead/KS3 Lead
SV Academy, 6 Eltham High Street London SE9 1DA
SV Academy is a small alternative school based in SE9. We provide education opportunities for some of London's most vulnerable and challenging young people, supporting them to raise their aspirations and to achieve the best qualifications possible.
We are looking for experienced teaching and learning assistants/mentors with a track record in working with young people with challenging behaviour to build personal, social and academic skills. We need proactive, positive people who relish a challenge and have a passion for helping young people achieve, no matter what the barrier. Our mentors work in the classroom, or in small groups of 1 - 3 students, to support the development of literacy and numeracy skills, to help students to address and manage their behaviour, to support them to re-integrate with mainstream school or to move on to college.
We specialise in music and media courses so any skills/experience in this area is a bonus. This is a term time only position, Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 3.45pm ideally, although we may consider flexible or term time only if required for childcare responsibilities.
• Support the delivery of tailored teaching activities to pupils on either a one-to-one basis or in small groups
• Make sure that the pupils that you support are able to engage in learning and stay on task during the lesson or activity
• Support the social and emotional development of pupils, reporting any issues as necessary
• Manage challenging pupil behaviour • Guide and monitor pupil progress
• Carry out administrative duties such as preparing classroom resources
• Provide support outside of your normal classes, such as helping during exams, covering teaching absences or going on school trips
• Help with extracurricular activity such as breakfast and after-school clubs, homework club, revision sessions or lunch-time duties
• You'll be supporting pupils with a range of learning and/or behavioural difficulties from a variety of backgrounds, which can be challenging. However, it can be extremely rewarding watching the progress of the pupils that you work with.
• Dress code is smart casual, though this depends on the types of activities you are required to undertake (such as P.E.).
• The majority of your work will be in the classroom, although you may be involved in lunchtime supervision, outdoor activities, or accompanying pupils on school trips.
• Good maths and English is essential, as you will be helping learners to develop skills in these subjects.
You are expected to have basic literacy and numeracy skills (GCSE or equivalent) and experience of working with children. Higher qualifications may put you at an advantage.
• A professional attitude to your work.
• A strong regard for pupil safety and well-being.
• A positive approach to working with children and the ability to motivate, inspire and build rapport.
• Respect for diversity as you will be working with pupils from a range of backgrounds.
• Excellent team working ability as you'll be working with other support staff, classroom teachers and other professionals, such as educational psychologists, speech and language therapists and social workers, parents, carers and external agencies.
• Good organisational skills and the ability to work flexibly.
• A willingness to keep up to date with educational policy and training related to your role.
• Previous experience working with secondary school aged children .
• Experience with music technology software, specifically Logic Pro X; • A knowledge of youth issues and direct experience of working with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds;
• Experience working with young people with challenging behaviour and/or SEN;
• Experience with positive handling and de-escalation techniques;
• The confidence and ability to lead 1:1/small group workshops/classes.
Successful candidates will be required to undertake a DBS check.
Job Types: Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship.
18 month contract Salary: £8.00 to £11.00 /hour depending on prior experience and qualifications